Auction House Price Guide - 143,244 bids logged

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

GuideTitle.png.jpeg

The guide is intended to provide players with up to date and accurate price estimates on items. The data is taken from actual auction house activity.

DISCLAIMER: Since only sellers can post on the auction house, this data represents the asking price of an item,  which is an upper bound estimate on the item's actual selling price.

Administrative stuff:

• I will be re-uploading new graphics several times each month to keep the data up-to-date.
  • If you would like to see graphics for an item not shown, post here and I'll consider including it. Items that do not have unique name identifiers cannot be shown. For example, I can't show the price history for party hats because they all have the same identifying name, "party hat".
  • I'll also be releasing other data, such as players online and other measures of the RSCR economy.

Details about how this data is acquired:

• The data is taken from actual auction house activity logged on the RSCR homepage. This is done with a program I've scripted that checks the website every 15 minutes. The script currently runs continually on my ipad, however there are significant gaps in this data caused by me not running the script in the past. Keep that in mind.
  • The data represents the asking price of sellers, not the selling price. However the asking price is an upper bound estimate for the selling price
  • Unreasonably low or high prices are automatically detected and excluded in the analysis
  • Repeated bids (bids that are posted, cancelled, and then posted again) are automatically detected and excluded in the analysis
  • Each data point is a weighted average of x bids, where x is the number needed to create 20 data points for each item. What do I mean by weighted average? To demonstrate, let's take the weighted average of 2 bids: 1000 sharks @ 800ea and 1 shark @600ea. The average asking price is 700ea, but thats an unfair measure because there were more sharks at 800ea than 600ea. This is accounted for by taking the weighted average, which in this case results in an amount that is very very close to 800ea.

Last edited by Evan (7 Mar 2016 22:40)

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

center
(Post if you would like to see a item's price history not listed here)

Gear:

• Dragon medium Helmet
  • Dragon Square Shield

Gear (click to show) ▼

Runes:

• Air-Rune
  • Fire-Rune
  • Nature-Rune
  • Death-Rune
  • Blood-Rune

Runes (click to show) ▼

Edibles:

• Super strength Potion
  • Super attack Potion
  • Super defense Potion
  • Shark
  • Swordfish
  • Lobster

Edibles (click to show) ▼

Raw Resources:

• Dragon Bones
  • iron ore
  • coal
  • mithril ore
  • Silver
  • gold
  • uncut sapphire
  • uncut emerald
  • uncut ruby
  • uncut diamond
  • uncut dragonstone

Resources (click to show) ▼

Subscriptions:

• Gold Subscription Card
  • Platinum Subscription Card

Subscriptions (click to show) ▼

Last edited by Evan (7 Mar 2016 06:50)

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

Player avatar

Datsyuk Send PM

subscriber

Nice work. This is better to use than someone posting their opinions on prices.

[img]http://s2.postimg.org/stnxil1ll/Datsyuk.jpg[/img]

Speed Racer - Lvl 3 Event Extraordinar

Player avatar

Army Send PM

subscriber

except ah prices are always overpriced so this is kind of useless sadly

For example: everyone knows yellow p hat is 11-13m but on ah its usually posted for 17+

[img]http://static2.businessinsider.com/image/53aadfbb69bedd877dc768a3/us-norse-hacker-map.gif[/img]

Player avatar

Cub Send PM

subscriber

I agree with Army, I think the selling price should be the factor here, not listed price.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

Army said:

except ah prices are always overpriced so this is kind of useless sadly

For example: everyone knows yellow p hat is 11-13m but on ah its usually posted for 17+

As I've said, it is what it is: an upper bound estimate for the selling price. This is not useless, as it's direct reflection of an items worth. For example, shark have plummeted drastically since last month, which is seen in the mean asking price dropping to approximately 600ea. A lot of useful decisions could be made based on such data, such as "nows a really bad time to be selling shark".

You're example with the partyhat is true but also case specific, as the asking prices for rares will always be drastically different from the selling price. This is just by virtue of rares being rare. So you're right that rares aren't really quantifiable using this metric. Common commodities on the other hand have smaller gaps between asking and selling prices, and are highly traded which allows more reliable statistics to be gathered.

Player avatar

runeknight95 Send PM

subscriber

This is cool BUT
Nothing on the AH is selling, that shit goes up for 100 gp each or some bull shit price , stays there for 2 days and gets returned to the owners bank.

Check Out my "Quality of life" improvement suggestion thread and vote +1 ty!---->
http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4338
Check out my Auction house improvement suggestion thread http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=8292
Moo Moo Moo MOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Player avatar

Cub Send PM

subscriber

runeknight95 said:

This is cool BUT
Nothing on the AH is selling, that shit goes up for 100 gp each or some bull shit price , stays there for 2 days and gets returned to the owners bank.

Not even, the 48 hours isnt even enforced.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

runeknight95 said:

This is cool BUT

Thanks runeknight. But the majority of transactions are in fact facilitated through the auction house.

Player avatar

runeknight95 Send PM

subscriber

Cub said:

runeknight95 said:

This is cool BUT

Typically it is, since the update its been broken

Evan said:

runeknight95 said:

This is cool BUT

Thanks runeknight. But the majority of transactions are in fact facilitated through the auction house.

I'm not arguing more things are being traded player to player than sold on AH.

I'm pointing out that this is a guide for items being posted. And items being posted DOES NOT EQUAL THEIR VALUE.
(To expand more on my original statement, you have people putting up herbs for 50k each, runes at 100 gp each, umm sharks for 1k each, swordies for 1k each, that shit is not selling but is being used on your graph.)

Since only the mods and admins see completed Auction house listings, these charts mean nothing and labeling your title "official price guide" is a fucking fallacy.

Last edited by runeknight95 (30 Oct 2015 00:22)

Check Out my "Quality of life" improvement suggestion thread and vote +1 ty!---->
http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4338
Check out my Auction house improvement suggestion thread http://www.rscrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=8292
Moo Moo Moo MOO MOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

runeknight95 said:

Cub said:

runeknight95 said:

This is cool BUT

Typically it is, since the update its been broken

Evan said:

runeknight95 said:

This is cool BUT

I'm not arguing more things are being traded player to player than sold on AH.

I'm pointing out that this is a guide for items being posted. And items being posted DOES NOT EQUAL THEIR VALUE.
(To expand more on my original statement, you have people putting up herbs for 50k each, runes at 100 gp each, umm sharks for 1k each, swordies for 1k each, that shit is not selling but is being used on your graph.)

Since only the mods and admins see completed Auction house listings, these charts mean nothing and labeling your title "official price guide" is a fucking fallacy.

You didn't read the part that says "READ THIS".

Edited out official, you're right its not official. I wrote this up at 3 in the morning.

Player avatar

XBadXKarmaX Send PM

subscriber

From a ForEx trader good job.
People don't realize how much data is here, these charts pretty much tell a story.

Items I would like to see charts on.
All the Ores,
Gems,
Rune/Dragon Armor/Weapons
Dragonstone Ammys/Charged/Unchrrged

Also I dunno if you could but candlestick charts would help alot also. You can only get so much data from line charts.

I had a mental image of what some of thsee charts would look like if someone actually took the time to make it and coal/gold subs  i can say is on point.

Last edited by XBadXKarmaX (9 Nov 2015 22:53)

When nostalgia keeps you from moving forward.
*INActive LvL 99 Blacksmith*
#RIPBANK (Only took a bank wipe to bring me back to reality.)

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

XBadXKarmaX said:

From a ForEx trader good job.
People don't realize how much data is here, these charts pretty much tell a story.

Items I would like to see charts on.
All the Ores,
Gems,
Rune/Dragon Armor/Weapons
Dragonstone Ammys/Charged/Unchrrged

Also I dunno if you could but candlestick charts would help alot also. You can only get so much data from line charts.

I had a mental image of what some of thsee charts would look like if someone actually took the time to make it and coal/gold subs  i can say is on point.

Thanks a lot for your feedback, I'll add in the ores, gems, charged dragonstone ammies, and dragon armor/weapons next update. I'll also consider the rune weapons/armor but I want to keep the list fairly compact to make it less of a chore to update every month. I hope you can use the charts to your benefit.

I've never heard of candlestick charts. I just googled it and I'm not sure it'd be applicable for us because there are no opening and closing prices in RSCR. Let me know if you can help me out in clarifying how that would work.

Last edited by Evan (10 Nov 2015 01:51)

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

This is the monthly update for November:

- 55,560 bids from the Auction House have now been logged
- I've updated all of the graphs to include data up to December 1st
- I changed the aesthetics of the graphs so they look less Halloween-like
- I decreased the size of the figures so that its easier to scroll through
- I added dragon gear, mithril ore, silver, gold, all the uncuts, and plat subs

Hopefully this is as useful to you guys as it has been to me. I've made a lot of money by being able to estimate price trends based on this data. What would make this a lot more useful to everyone is if n0m released information on which items sold and which items didn't. From this I could compile the same graphs except using selling price data. If you're interested in that, please post here and we can convince n0m to share this data.

Last edited by Evan (31 Dec 2015 23:11)

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

This is the monthly update for December:

- 88,555 bids from the Auction House have now been logged
- I've updated all of the graphs to include data up to December 1st. I've also changed the uploading process so that the figures are uploaded with the same IMG code. This means I don't have to copy paste the IMG link for each picture every time I decide to update, which in turn means that I'm going to start updating the graphs several times a month
- Planning on extending the list to include the top 100 traded items. Before I do this I'm going to wait until [collapse][/collapse] BBCode is added to these forums
- If anyone would like to make a professional looking banner for this post, that would be much appreciated!

And last but not least, I have some very exciting news. Fate has said hes going to make all of the sold auction house listings (with associated dates) public on the website. Currently cancelled items also register with the [SOLD] status which makes it ambiguous and not useful. Once this is done, I can create plots which are composed of selling price data, not asking price data. This is going to huge and will make these plots as accurate as accurate gets. No ETA on this yet.  I'd imagine once christmas and new years dies down Fate could allot the time.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

This is the monthly update for January:

- 114,107 bids from the Auction House have now been logged
- Items are now up to date (January 28th)

Nothing new in terms of content. Once I am able to get my hands on strictly sold items, I'm planning on rehauling this guide completely with 100% tracking of every item sold. I'm also planning some global measures of the RSCR economy but I'm going to wait until I get better data to work with.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

This is the monthly update for February:

- 143,244 total bids from the Auction House have now been logged
- Items are now up to date (March 1st)
- I've added expand/collapse features to the plots so they are easy to scroll through. Thanks Fate.

Notable Price Changes:

• Dragon Square Shields have reached a minimum in their price history
  • Elemental runes have reached a maximum in their price history
  • Super Attack and Super Strength potions have reached a maximum in their price history
  • Lobster, Swordfish, and Shark continue to drop in price from their December price peak
  • Dragon bones have dipped below 8k for the first time in a long time
  • Iron and Coal continue to increase in price over a monthly average
  • Gold has dramatically crashed to just 1.2k
  • Gold Subs have reached a maximum in their price history

I'm still patiently waiting for Fate to update how the website displays the auction listings. When that happens, I promise this guide will be 1000x better.

Player avatar

Evan Send PM

subscriber

Just a quick update from my side. I'm not updating this anymore until I can extract the selling data from the website. Look forward to when/if that day ever comes!