Cannot launch the client on Windows XP VirtualBox

Player avatar

Testdude20 Send PM

The page https://rscrevolution.com/download.php?client=PC_Client says that the requirements are Windows 98 or higher, and Java 1.6 or higher.

When I start the client on my Windows XP VirtualBox, which runs other RSC private servers fine, it gives me the following error:

I am not allowed to post embedded images, but here is an imgur link to the image depicting the error: https://i.imgur.com/ioxG7oq.png

The error image depicts two popup dialogues, the lower one titled "RSCRevolution Updater", with inner text "Checking for updates...", and a modal one with buttons "OK" and "Cancel", titled "Updater fail", with a message "Failed to check remote version, check your connection".

I do not believe it is a networking error because another private server jar works fine.

I want to know if there is a way to remedy this error.

Thanks ahead of time.

Last edited by Testdude20 (1 Oct 2023 15:58)

Player avatar

Terror Send PM

subscriber

Interesting, I may try this myself but normally that error means something is blocking internet connection to the app.

Feel free to message me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord with any questions or concerns you may have.

Read the Rules

Player avatar

Terror Send PM

subscriber

I did give this a quick go but at the moment I'm stuck on getting a working browser. Internet explorer won't go to any secure websites which is like 99% of the web now days. I will try again soon.

Feel free to message me in-game, on the forums, or on Discord with any questions or concerns you may have.

Read the Rules

Player avatar

Testdude20 Send PM

You can use Firefox or one of it's older versions(I am using FireFox 52.01 as it is the last version that still supports embedded Flash and Java, but that's a sidenote). You can also transfer the jar file directly to the machine using other means.

You may also need to find an older version of the JRE/JDK. I am currently running "Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.8.0_74-b02)" for the JRE, and 1.7.0_76 for the JDK.

Last edited by Testdude20 (4 Oct 2023 13:34)