Walking changes

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

I have made a breakthrough with the RSC walking(basically rewrote the whole thing) and I tested it for a pretty long time and there were zero walkbacks smile

I'm still working on getting the latency smaller but after these things are all done we can host a beta.

Player avatar

Fate Send PM

beta

Yes we have been testing this for about 2-3 hours now. 100-200 clicks per minute in all different angels, around objects and npcs and buildings as well as diagonal spamming. We did it, the walkbacks are gone the hogging is gone!

These tests are not from our local computers (which means that the result are final).

Hopefully we could put a beta test for a few hours later today so you can test this.

Done in one take, because in life there are no repeats.

Player avatar

Havalian Send PM

subscriber

Most excellent. Congratulations on the breakthrough!

Player avatar

Shinrael Send PM

Nice. Good job, guys! Definetely helpful.

Last edited by Shinrael (21 Apr 2014 17:55)

Player avatar

alter ego Send PM

subscriber

thats kool

Player avatar

Lonti Send PM

subscriber

This update will probably attract  pkers!  Where is the server going to be USA or Sweden?

Player avatar

Mad Send PM

How is this working inregards to catching while pking? I guess your player will walk directly towards the other player now? What about npcs? Does your character walk directly towards the npc or does it take the path that the npc has previously taken?

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough; we didn't create new path finding, we merely corrected the walking server-side which was done wrong years ago by Reines(?). So walking should be just as you remember it being on RS Classic.

Player avatar

Mad Send PM

What differences will there be? Will we be able to tell a difference between what the walking used to be like?

On a side note, if you made the pathing where your character would walk directly to a npc or player that you click on without your character walking in the path that the npc or player previously had taken; That would be a breakthrough update. This would be the correct way of fixing walkbacks smile

Last edited by Mad (22 Apr 2014 04:07)

Player avatar

n0m Send PM

Administratorsubscriber

Mad said:

What differences will there be? Will we be able to tell a difference between what the walking used to be like?

On a side note, if you made the pathing where your character would walk directly to a npc or player that you click on without your character walking in the path that the npc or player previously had taken; That would be a breakthrough update. This would be the correct way of fixing walkbacks smile

It is a lot smoother, as in it dodges objects/walls without having to re-click and walk long distances without failing.
Before it used to stop at objects and walls randomly and had trouble walking longer distances.

It would be rather easy to make it accurately walk to players/npcs, by simply ignoring the walk packet client sends and setting the player to follow but I believe this would change the experience radically and the it would make catching in wilderness extremely easy.

Player avatar

Teemu Send PM

betasubscriber

n0m said:

Sorry I probably wasn't clear enough; we didn't create new path finding, we merely corrected the walking server-side which was done wrong years ago by Reines(?). So walking should be just as you remember it being on RS Classic.

<3

[img]http://i61.tinypic.com/2mq3w39.jpg[/img]
[img]http://pove.arkku.net/upload/uploads/teamfin.png[/img]

Player avatar

Mad Send PM

I see now what you mean, yeah it could make it easier to catch in the wilderness, but it is rather annoying when I want my character to walk to the person I just clicked on. Not take his same path that he just walked before reaching him. This is even more annoying when trying to train on npcs that move about.

Player avatar

da tru glory Send PM

beta

n0m olet hieno mies.

Player avatar

punKrockeR Send PM

subscriber

n0m said:

It would be rather easy to make it accurately walk to players/npcs, by simply ignoring the walk packet client sends and setting the player to follow but I believe this would change the experience radically and the it would make catching in wilderness extremely easy.

Truth! Good call brother. And nice fix smile

Edit: What about making it ignore the walk packet and set to follow on NPCs only? You've gotta admit, even on RSC, following NPCs around all day trying to attack them was a bitch.

Last edited by punKrockeR (5 Jun 2014 02:49)

"I am an Anarchist! Wherefore I will
Not rule, & also ruled I will not be!"

— John Henry Mackay

Player avatar

delrith Send PM

subscriber

Love following npcs, so much fun

[img]http://i.imgur.com/dmEC58y.png[/img]